Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 cups chopped onion
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• Carrots (3 or so) minced in a food processor
• 2 1/2 cups water, divided
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons chili powder (or more to taste)
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
• 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 or 2 cups of frozen corn
• 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
• 1/2 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, (optional)
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion, garlic, bell pepper and carrots; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
Combine ingredients, 2 cups of water through cannellini beans, with cooked onion mixture in crock pot, stir gently.
Combine remaining cup of water and tomato paste in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended.
Stir tomato paste mixture into bean mixture.
Cook on low in crock pot 4 hours or more if you want.
Serve with grated cheese and green onions on top and corn bread.
Even better subsequent days. (I am on day 3 of having this for lunch and it is so good.)